Better employees means better employee relationships
It may be the most important thing managers do: evaluating their people in a way that solves problems and improves performance. But how can you make sure you do it right every time?
Employees are understandably nervous about performance appraisals. But why should managers worry?
Maybe you don’t want to upset a top performer who’s been making a few mistakes. Or perhaps you don’t want a consistently poor performer to get tearful or angry. You don’t want anyone to misinterpret what you’re saying.
It’s important to set goals and measure performance, how can you make sure performance appraisals are motivational and worthwhile?
Here are five keys to driving productivity by improving performance reviews.
1. Performance happens daily (reviews should too). Provide your employees with real-time feedback on accomplishments and challenges throughout the year. This will allow them the opportunity to grow throughout the year. Then come review time, you can focus on achievements and growth instead of rehashing past challenges.
2. Reviews should be conversations. Give your employees clear action steps and information they can use; discuss specific achievements they can be proud of and areas where they can improve.
3. Reviews should have a purpose. Reviews should collect useful employee performance information that can be put to work for the entire organization. If employees can see positive benefits come from reviews they will make a greater effort.
4. Embrace simplicity and consistency. Simple, frequent reviews will give you a clear, current understanding of what’s happening with your team, and contribute positively to individual engagement. Reviews should be straightforward, allowing you to focus on the person sitting in front of you.
5. Change the review experience We’ve all had a bad review experience or two- whether on the giving or receiving end. It does get better; it’s all in the approach.
Quick Tips –
Great supervisors talk about performance every day, giving timely (and useful) feedback to their
Great employees welcome feedback as a source of inspiration, motivation and reassurance.
**Feedback needs to be continuous, clear, and frequent. By doing these simple things, you’re making your supervisor employee relationship that much better!
LUXA Enterprises offers outsourced hr solutions for small and mid-size businesses in the Tulsa and surrounding areas. If you’re considering a short or long-term approach for your hr needs, give us a call for more information at 918-928-7288.